With a malt biscuit base and layers of salted caramel and chocolate ganache, this Salted Caramel Malt Chocolate Slice recipe pairs sweet and salty flavours, with smooth and crunchy textures.
What makes this Salted Caramel Malt Chocolate Slice recipe special?
- No-bake recipe. Simply put, you do not need an oven to make this recipe. It’s basic and easy to follow, you’ll just need a little patience as each layer chills in the fridge.
- Indulgent flavours. Rich chocolate, salted caramel and Maltesers. What is there not to love!?
- Delicious textures. Smooth caramel and ganache layers are sandwiched between a crumbly malt biscuit base and a crunchy Malteser topping.
How to make Salted Caramel Malt Chocolate slices
This recipe is all about layering and chilling. Just start from the bottom and make each layer at a time. You’ll need a little patience whilst each layer chills in the fridge, but trust me it’s worth the wait.
- Layer 1: Malt biscuit base
Crush up malted milk biscuits, mix in melted butter and press out in the baking tin.
- Layer 2: Dark chocolate ganache
Heat up cream, pour oven finely chopped dark chocolate and stir until smooth. Choose a 50-60% dark chocolate so that the ganache isn’t too sickly sweet or too bitter.
- Layer 3: Salted caramel
Using condensed milk makes this caramel much easier to make. Just melt all the ingredients together in a saucepan, then boil for 6-8 minutes until thick and golden. Don’t forget to stir in the salt.
- Layer 4: Malteser topping
The final layer! Pour over melted milk chocolate and scatter chopped Maltesers on top. One final trip to the fridge, then it’s time to slice and enjoy.
Salted Caramel Malt Chocolate
Malt biscuit base:
- 200 g Malted milk biscuits
- 100 g Unsalted butter
- 200 g Dark chocolate (between 50-60% cocoa solids)
- 120 ml Double cream
- 150 g Unsalted butter
- 30 g White caster sugar
- 60 g Golden syrup
- 1 tin Condensed milk (397g) I use Carnation
- 1 tsp salt
Malteser chocolate topping:
- 200 g Milk chocolate
- 100 g Maltesers
Start by making the malt biscuit base
- Line an 8inch/20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Use a rolling pin to crush up the biscuits into fine, sand-like crumbs.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in 30-second blasts until it turns to liquid.
- Add the crushed biscuits to the butter and stir together until coated in the melted butter.
- Spoon into the baking tin and use the back of a spoon to press the biscuit base out into an even layer. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
Make the chocolate ganache
- Finely chop the dark chocolate into very small chunks and place in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the double cream into a small saucepan and set over a low heat.
- Stir continuously for roughly 3-4 minutes until the cream is piping hot and has started to bubble up.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Take the baking tin out of the fridge. Pour on top of the biscuit base and spread out into an even layer.Return to the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
Now make the salted caramel
- In a large saucepan combine the butter, sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk.
- Place the saucepan over a low heat and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ingredients have melted into a smooth mixture.
- Turn the heat up a little so that the mixture starts to bubble up. Keep stirring continuously for 5-6 minutes until the mixture thickens and turns golden in colour. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
- Set aside and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the caramel on top of the ganache and spread out into an even layer. Return to the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
Make the chocolate topping
- Chop the Maltesers into halves and set aside.
- Break up the milk chocolate into a bowl and microwave in 30-second blasts until smooth.
- Take the baking tin out of the fridge. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and spread out into an even layer.
- Scatter the Maltesers on top and gently press them down into the chocolate. Return to the fridge (for the last time!) for 1 hour to set.
Time to slice!
- Lift out of the baking tin and peel down the sides of the greaseproof paper.
- Leave at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften the layers.
- Run a large sharp knife until warm water for 30 seconds and dry with a towel (this will help slice through the layers). Cut into 16 slices and enjoy!