These Nutella Stuffed Coffee Cupcakes combine flavours of chocolate, hazelnut and coffee. They’re flavoured with freshly ground coffee and topped with a swirl of creamy coffee buttercream!
About these Nutella Stuffed Coffee Cupcakes
- Flavoured with freshly ground coffee
- Secret Nutella filling
- Topped with creamy coffee and hazelnut buttercream
- Decorated with crushed hazelnuts and a drizzle of Nutella
- Require a little effort, but it’s well worth it!
Read these tips before you start
Choosing the correct cupcake cases.
Cupcakes come in three sizes; fairy cake, standard and muffin. The baking time will vary depending on the case size you use. This recipe will give you 12 muffin-sized (so on the larger side) cupcakes. The cases I used were from Sainsbury’s and measured 2″ base and 1.5″ deep.
Removing the middle of the cupcakes.
Let them cool completely before you try to core the cupcakes. To do this, you can use a cupcake corer (like in the photo below), a knife or a piping nozzle. Be careful not to go all the way to the bottom, as you want to leave the bottom intact so the filling doesn’t spill out.
Piping the buttercream.
Piping can be really tricky but the more you practice the easier it will become. Here are a few of my top tips to help you:
- Only fill your piping bag ¾ full and use your hands to push the buttercream down to the end, squeezing out the air.
- Twist the top of the bag to keep the buttercream in place and to give you more control.
- Hold the piping bag upright in the middle of the cupcake. Apply pressure to the piping bag and pipe in a circular motion spiralling outwards and lifting upwards at the same time.
- To finish the swirl, release pressure and gently lift the piping bag up.
Equipment & ingredients used for this recipe
Nutella Stuffed Coffee Cupcakes
For the coffee cupcakes
- 180 g Stork (margarine) or unsalted butter
- 180 g White caster sugar
- 2 Large Eggs at room temperature
- 180 g White self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp Freshly ground coffee or espresso powder I used 200 Degrees’ Brazilian Love Affair coffee, it’s my absolute favourite!
- 1 tbsp Water
For the Nutella filling
- 1 jar of Nutella you’ll use roughly a teaspoon to fill each cupcake
For the coffee and hazelnut buttercream
- 250 g Salted butter at room temperature
- 500 g Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tsp Hazelnut coffee syrup I used Monin syrup
For the decoration
- Crushed hazelnuts to sprinkle on top
- Nutella to drizzle on top
Start by making the coffee cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven) and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with cases.
- In a small bowl mix the freshly ground coffee or espresso powder with the water. Set aside for now.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy and pale in colour.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, adding 2 tablespoons of the 180g self-raising flour at the same time (this will stop the mixture from curdling).
- Now add the remaining self-raising flour, and the coffee mixture, and fold together until fully combined.
- Divide evenly between the cupcake cases, filling them roughly ¾ full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until the cupcakes have risen and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Fill the cupcakes with Nutella
- Once the cupcakes are cool, scoop out the middle of each using a cupcake corer or a teaspoon.
- Melt roughly 3-4 tablespoons of Nutella in a bowl in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake with a heaped teaspoon of melted Nutella.
Now make the coffee and hazelnut buttercream
- Make a fresh cup of coffee and put it in the fridge until needed.
- Beat the butter for 1-2 miutes until creamy, smooth and pale in colour.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Now mix in the hazelnut syrup and 3 tablespoons of the fresh coffee.
Time to decorate
- Spoon the buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a large open star nozzle.
- Starting from the middle of the cupcake, hold the piping bag upright and pipe in a circular motion moving outwards. To finish the swirl, gently lift the piping bag upwards.
- Drizzle over melted Nutella and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts.
[…] Nutella Mocha Cupcakes […]