Curl up by a cosy fire with a hot drink and a deliciously indulgent Hot Chocolate Cupcakes!
Rich chocolate sponge is topped with a swirl of white chocolate buttercream, a drizzle of melted milk chocolate and a scattering of cute sprinkles and mini marshmallows. How could you resist tucking into one of these!?
Why you’ll love these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Triple choc flavour. Chocolate sponge, white chocolate buttercream and a drizzle of melted milk chocolate, these cupcakes are a chocoholics dream.
- The textures are heavenly. The sponge is moist, soft and brownie-like in texture. The buttercream is smooth and creamy, and the sprinkles add a little crunch. This is a winning texture combination.
- They’re surprisingly easy to make. There are three main steps to the recipe; the cupcake sponge, buttercream and finally the decoration. Each step is super easy and quick, but together they make a show-stopper bake!
Recipe success tips for baking Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
This recipe is super simple and easy to follow. However, as always, there are a few success tips that I would like to share so that your cupcakes turn our perfect:
- Use muffin-sized cupcake cases. Cupcakes come in three sizes; fairy cake, standard and muffin. The baking time will vary depending on the size you use. This recipe will give you 12 muffin-sized cupcakes. The cases I used measured 2″ base and 1.5″ deep.
- Fill the cupcake cases 3/4 full. The cupcakes are very moist and brownie-like in texture and therefore won’t rise as much as classic fluffy cupcakes. Fill your cupcake cases 3/4 full so you get a good-sized cupcake once they’re baked.
- How to pipe buttercream swirls. Fit a large piping bag with a large open star nozzle and fill with buttercream. Hold the piping bag upright in the middle of the cupcake. Apply pressure to the top of the piping bag and pipe in a circular motion spiralling outwards and lifting upwards at the same time. To finish the swirl, release pressure and gently lift the piping bag up.
More cupcake recipes you’ll love
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe (makes 12)
For the chocolate cupcakes
- 200g unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 200g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 80g cocoa powder, for baking or drinking
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 160ml full fat or semi-skimmed milk
- 60ml boiling water
For the white chocolate buttercream
- 240g unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 100g Milkybar white chocolate
- 300g icing sugar
For the decoration
- Bag of mini marshmallows
- 60g milk chocolate
- Colourful sprinkles
Start by making the chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4. Line a cupcake baking tin with 12 cupcakes cases.
- Beat the butter, light brown sugar and vanilla extract together until smooth and pale in colour.
- Crack in the eggs and mix through.
- In a separate bowl add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder and espresso powder. Stir through until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture, along with the milk. Fold together until combined.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water and gently stir together until you have a glossy, smooth chocolate mixture.
- Divide evenly between the cupcakes cases and bake for 16-18 minutes until risen. A toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcakes should come out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Now make the white chocolate buttercream
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 30-second blasts until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter until really soft and pale in colour.
- Sieve the icing sugar into the bowl and beat together until creamy and smooth.
- Now pour in the cooled melted white chocolate and fold together until combined.
Time to decorate!
- Spoon the buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a large open star piping nozzle.
- Pipe buttercream swirls on top of the cupcakes.
- Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave and drizzle on top of the buttercream.
- Decorate with colourful sprinkles and mini marshmallows.
Store your Hot Chocolate Cupcakes in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days.