This Better For You Banana Bread recipe is high in protein, low in fat and free from refined sugars. It’s a delicious lighter alternative to this classic bake!
What makes this Banana Bread recipe better for you?
- High in protein. This recipe uses wholegrain spelt flour (I used Craggs & Co) , which is naturally high in protein. Each has nearly 6g of protein.
- Refined sugar free. Mashed bananas and a little maple syrup make this banana bread naturally sweet. I have also added 70% dark chocolate chunks, because you know who doesn’t love chocolate 😉To make this recipe even healthier, you can emit the chocolate chunks or swap them for chopped nuts.
- Low in fat. Swapping butter for greek yoghurt (I used FAGE Total 5% Greek Yoghurt) adds moisture but also reduces fats. Each slice has less than 3g saturated fat.
How to make this Banana Bread
- Stir together the dry ingredients. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Mash the bananas. Use really ripe blackened bananas, and mash them up with a fork or electric whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bananas. Mix in the greek yoghurt, vanilla extract, eggs and maple syrup.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and dark chocolate chunks.
- Transfer to a loaf tin and decorate with a sliced banana.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The banana bread will rise and be a lovely golden brown colour.
How to line a loaf tin
Unlike square baking tins, loaf tins can be a little tricky to prep.
I’ve found that the best way is to first lightly grease the tin all over with a little butter. Then cut a piece of greaseproof paper that is long enough to line the base and long sides of the tin, with enough paper hanging over the edges to help lift the cake out. This way the loaf cake will have straight, neat edges and bake more evenly.
More banana bread recipes you’ll love
Better For You Banana Bread
- 200 g Wholegrain spelt flour I used Craggs & Co
- 1.5 teaspoons Baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Medium very ripe bananas
- 100 g Greek yoghurt I used Fage Total 5% Greek Yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Good quality maple syrup I used Billington's Amber Maple Syrup
- 2 Large eggs at room temperature
- 100 g Good quality dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- (Optional) 1 Medium banana used to decorate the top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4.
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper (see notes above).
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas until smooth.
- Add the yoghurt, vanilla extract, eggs and maple syrup to the mashed banana and mix through until combined.
- Now add the dry ingredients and chocolate chunks, and fold together until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and spread it out evenly.
- (Optional) Slice a banana in half lengthways and arrange on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 minutes. The banana bread should have risen, be golden brown in colour and a toothpick instead in the middle should come out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the baking tin, then turn the banana bread out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice into 10 and serve slightly warm.
- Calories: 187
- Carbs: 28.9g
- Of which sugar: 11.8g
- Fat: 5.1g
- Sat fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 5.7g