Soft baked chocolate chip cookie topped with gooey rich brownie… sound good? I thought so.
Recipe: Chocolate Chip Brookies (makes 12)
For the chocolate chip cookie layer:
- 160g unsalted butter
- 100g white caster sugar
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg + 1 medium egg yolk, at room temperature
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips
For the brownie layer:
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g 70% dark chocolate
- 220g white caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 150g self-raising flour
Start by making the cookie dough
- Melt the butter in 20-second blasts in the microwave until it turns to liquid.
- Add the light brown and caster sugar and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Now add the vanilla extract, whole egg and egg yolk, and mix together until fully combined.
- Add the flour and the chocolate chips, and fold together until the mixture forms a cookie dough.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
Once the cookie dough has chilled, make the brownie mixture
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F and line an 8inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Break up the dark chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and add the butter. Melt in the microwave in 30-second blasts, mixing after each, until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for a minute until pale in colour and frothy.
- Pour the melted chocolate and butter mixture into the whisked eggs. Add the flour and fold the mixture together until fully combined.
- Take the cookie dough out of the fridge. Using your hands, press the cookie dough out into an even layer in the bottom of the baking tin.
- Now pour the brownie mixture on top and spread out into an even layer.
Time to bake!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is no longer shiny and the edges of the brownie layer have started to crack.
- Leave to cool completely in the baking tin for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Once cool, use the greaseproof paper to lift the brookies out of the tin.
- Use a large, sharp knife to slice into 12 brookies and enjoy!
Store your Chocolate Chip Bookies in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days.